This monument is the only choragic one that remains intact today, and it acts as an emblem of the entire Plaka district. It was built by the choregos (sponsor) Lysicrates (334 BC) in a style resembling the Corinthian order.

The bronze choragic tripod (bearing a cauldron) was awarded to the sponsor of the winning plays in the theatrical contest, who then gilded and mounted it on a monument to commemorate his victory. From 1669 until Kioutachis’ siege of the Acropolis (1826-1827), the monument adorned the Monastery of the French Capuchin monks, initially as a chapel, and later as a library.