Souvenir shopping can be enjoyed all over Athens: at Athens International Airport's comprehensive Duty Free shopping centre and retail area; traditional items such as ceramic vases, statues, ceramic pots and replicas of ancient artifacts can surely be found in Monastiraki, Plaka, Thisieo and Psirri. Go a bit beyond with a limited edition piece designed especially for The New Acropolis Museum or an elaborate gold bracelet from a shop Panepistimiou. Here are some ideas for souvenirs that are sure to be appreciated by those who will receive them.
- Cool t-shirts, mugs and other exclusively-designed Breathtaking Athens Products can be purchased at the first official tourist shop in Athens located on the ground floor of Public (www.public.gr; 1 Karageorgi Servias Str, Syntagma)
- The shops that line the archaeologically historic city centre in Monastiraki and Thiseio features thousands of traditional items to choose from, while innovative and unique items can be purchased from the many shops that have blossomed in neighboring Psirri.
- Designer "kitsch" items from Greece is for lovers (www.greeceisforlovers.com +30 210 9245064.)
- Beautifully illustrated coffee table books available at many leading bookstores.
- Museum shops. Great places to find that special item for friends. Often Greek designers create special item. Check out the museum shops at Cycladic Art Museum; The Benaki museum; the Lalaounis Museum and take your pick.
- Designer worry beads Komboloi at Kombologadiko (http://www.kombologadiko.gr; 9 Amerikis Street); Attica Center of Worry Beads The Amber (www.kompoloi.com; Voulis 35)
- Music CDs and DVDs at Metropolis (www.metropolis.gr; Panepistimiou Street) and Public (www.public.gr, Syntagma Square)
- The Greek Post office (www.elta.gr at Syntagma Square) has a selection of commemorative items
- The Poet Sandal Maker of Greece (www.melissinos-art.com, +30 210 321 9247) With models named "Jeremy Irons" and "Maria Callas", "Barbara Streisand" and "Sophia Loren," you can understand why this Greek sandal maker has had his share of minutes of fame with celebrity shoppers in Athens. Just one reason why his shop, started by his father, is often considered a must-stop shop.