The Panathenaic Stadium or Kallimarmaro was built in 329 BC by the orator and administrator Lycurgus for the athletic competitions of Panathenaia (the major Athenian festival in honor of the patron goddess Athena). In the mid 2nd century AD, the whole stadium was laid out in marble by Herodes Atticus. In 1894-96, the stadium was refurbished with new marble to a design by Anastasios Metaxas, following a donation by George Averoff. The Opening Ceremony for the 1st modern Olympic Games was held there in 1896.